Sunday, March 11, 2007

Oldham's Heroic Efforts Fought Off City 'demons'


A letter to the Editor of The Day:

My intention today was to write to state my unequivocal opposition to the “strong mayor” concept. Having served as mayor during the takeover of the city by New London Development Corp. and the John G. Rowland conspirators, I am well aware that we need more than the panacea and a promise of a “build it and they will come” mayor as proposed by The Day management.

What we need is a hero in the battle for the salvation of our fair city. We lost just such a hero on Wednesday with the passing of Neild Oldham, the curmudgeonly gentleman who has been pointing out our silliness and foibles for the past 10 years or so.

In my 30 years or so as a concerned citizen and through my eight years as city councilor, I have found no one who can match Mr. Oldham in honesty, veracity, human compassion, and the courage to challenge those who think they know better what this city needs.

One comes by such a hero only once in life and I am blessed to have stood in the ramparts with him fighting off the demons who think they can determine what is good for our citizens rather than asking us what we need to become fulfilled as members of this wonderful city we call New London. I appreciate Neild for his friendship and comradely advice.

Editor's note: The writer was mayor of New London from 1997-1998 and from 2001-2002.

Lloyd Beachy
New London

No comments: